View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011   #208
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson's plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Looking again at this play it shows a CB and FS covering two WRs. Maybe I am missing something as I am tired and my air conditioner quit working in my apartment, but where is the other corner and the SS? I want my CBs to stick with the WRs and FS and SS to back them up not replace them on a play.
That is why I said it doesn't even emphasize the on-side CB (Jackson).

If you look back at all the examples I gave concerning the 2-man route, the SS comes down to play the run.

The defense usually shows the QB quite clearly that they are in cover one/cover 3 type.

The 2-man route is designed to beat cover one, especially cover 3.
It is designed to "play" the FS.
The basic concept is that the offense floods the FS middle zone with 2 receivers: one high (the deep route) and one low (the crossing route).
If the FS stays up top to cover deep, the QB hits the crosser.
If the FS comes down, the QB goes long.

The drop-kick call was designed to combat this 2-man route.
It brings the FS down to take the crosser while the off-side CB goes into the deep middle to look to intercept the ball.
This is designed to bait the QB to make the deep throw.

The on-side CB was not shonw, becasue he simply plays his normal assignemnt in cover 3. He takes care of the usual 1/3. He watches for the outside receiver to cut to the corner or to the outside (back shoulder fade) or turn back on a stop/come backer route. He also serves to back up the FS on the crossing route.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote