View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question to you Titan fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I may get slammed by other Titan fans, but I never thought Neal was 'all that.'

From 1996-2000 (his best years by far) his best year on YPC was 4.1. That was his BEST. He also carried the ball a minimum of 320 times each season, peaking with over 400 in 2000. In another telling stat, his longest run, outside his rookie season, was 40 yards. In 5 seasons, the best he could do was bust out a 40 yarder.

So that leads to one of four conclusions.

1) George was overrated.
2) The offensive line, considered by most pundits to be one of the NFL's best, was overrated....
3) The playcalling was easy to defend against.
4) The fullback wasn't that good a lead blocker.

For me, I always considered George a good leader and solid player, but felt he was always overrated. The Press and players go ga-ga over RBs that bury their head and takle on defenders like he did.

I certainly never thought the o-line was overrated. Runyan, Matthews, Hopkins et al was a terrific line that always won the battles in the trenches, except a key playoff game in 2000.

Neal was a fullback for just two of those seasons, so IMO, Neal is not really the 'story' as it relates to George.

When the team hit a flat spot after that 2000 season, injuries and the cap started catching up to the team. George himself was hurt with a high ankle sprain and I can recall at least 7 or 8 players that ended up on IR that season.

That's my take, after 10 years the memories start getting a tad fuzzy. Funny, I can remember the damn Mike Renfro play like it was yesterday though and I was only 7 when that happened.
Thanks. And I was 3 when the Renfro thing happened and I too remember it like yesterday. Still living with it to this day.

That 2000 season that you speak of though, the Titans had the best record in the NFL if I recall for a good majority of the season before Baltimore began their run. Eddie was there for all of that season and even scored a rushing TD against Baltimore in that key playoff game. It was the following year that Neal was gone that Eddie got hurt more and often and the Titans never got back to that level offensively again for a while.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote