View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011   #62
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If CB Nnamdis Asomugha signed Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Teams don't look stupid for spending high dollars on a guy who is #1 or #2 at his position in the league if he ends up getting hurt. No GM or owner has a crystal ball and can tell if someone is going to get hurt that they sign to a lot of money, so anyone who would call an owner stupid for that is well stupid themselves. And if ASO started playing poorly all of a sudden I don't see how he'd look stupid then either considering that there is nothing in Aso's history to suggest that he'll lose motivation because he gets a big contract or that he is on any downward spiral of decline. He already has been paid top dollar and has still played great and been highly motivated. On paper Aso is one of the safest big investments you could make.
It's usually the #1 or #2 rated player at his position (not the league) we're talking about... rarely does the best actually become available. Nobody would ever blame a team for signing an Andre Johnson or Nnamdi Asomugha type of player. It's the ridiculous contracts that get handed out to the #1 or #2 rated player at their position just because they're "the best that's out there". And that can easily haunt a franchise if that player sucks or gets injured. No crystal ball - whatever... what happened last year or two years ago is old news. Nobody cares/remembers anymore but that player is still counting against the team's salary cap and limiting their options to furthur improve the team.

In regards to Nnamdi... every single owner, GM, head coach, defensive coordinator, and fanbase would LOVE to have him on their team.

Why is it that I'm still cautiously optimistic this may happen? It's like when you buy a lottery ticket and you really REALLY have that feeling that you're actually going to win. I feel like that with Asomugha. For some weird reason my mind is playing this awful trick on my heart.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote