View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If CB Nnamdis Asomugha signed Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think it is more of a risk factor. Some fans will risk more than others, especially when the result has little impact on us as individuals. Reminds me a bit of politicians who say anything and then when they sit on the throne of power they make different decisions.

I would spend $74 million 5 years of Bob's money for Nnamdi but if ASO gets hurt or has a bad year or two, it is Uncle Bob who looks silly not BADBOY.
Teams don't look stupid for spending high dollars on a guy who is #1 or #2 at his position in the league if he ends up getting hurt. No GM or owner has a crystal ball and can tell if someone is going to get hurt that they sign to a lot of money, so anyone who would call an owner stupid for that is well stupid themselves. And if ASO started playing poorly all of a sudden I don't see how he'd look stupid then either considering that there is nothing in Aso's history to suggest that he'll lose motivation because he gets a big contract or that he is on any downward spiral of decline. He already has been paid top dollar and has still played great and been highly motivated. On paper Aso is one of the safest big investments you could make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Given that the current circumstance is AJ is allowed to talk to other players and the Texans can't this is an off-base comment.
I had a feeling someone would come in here and use that against what I said. The fact is that the Texans management haven't done that in any seasons under this regime hardly. You can use the "well they can't talk to anyone right now" argument all you want, but I can go back on 4 off seasons where Smithiak arrogantly just wanted to build through the draft and hardly pushed hard at all to sign other top players around the league that were available, while AJ is all over the place trying to pull guys over here. What he is doing now is something Smithiak has never been consistent at doing in order to bring in high end players to fill holes. I don't see any reason to believe that will all of a sudden change when this lockout is lifted and Smithiak is able to sign and push hard for whomever they want. Mcnair already stated "we aren't going to do anything crazy" so in his language that meant we'll keep the same status quo and do the same thing we have for years and be very conservative in free agency as opposed to being aggressive.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote