Thread: Winlsow
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For one, the draft position indicates the player's value.
Well kind of--it indicates their relative value but not absolute dollar value. Maybe my impression is wrong but it seems that the upper end this year has gone slightly nuts. Carr and Palmer got $10 mil bonuses with secondary bonuses of $4 mil and at least in Carr's case that second bonus was not all new money as it bought down his base salaries in future years. The rule of thumb has been 6-10% increase per year for the same position--Manning is getting 80-100% more over a 1-2 year time period.

Quote:
If there were no college draft and Winslow was on the open market, he'd probably end up with a contract similar to the one he'll eventually sign. There would be enough teams out there that think he's that pro-bowler that he'd get that contact from someone.
That's what just seems odd to me and I'm not sure it's true. Take any of the star players who have finished their rookie contracts and become UFA's, i.e. really hitting the prime of their career--none has ever gotten a signing bonus as big as Manning and they were available on the open market for all the teams to bid on, but would teams really pick the unknown quantity over the proven star in open bidding. Doesn't seem rational.

Really just commenting that this year seems different. Carr and Palmer are well paid QB's but they weren't pushing the franchise number--Manning, Gallery, Winslow and Taylor are at or above the franchise numbers.