View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011   #219
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokalus View Post
I don't think anyone grumbling about the pick is grumbling that JJ Watt will be a bust. I love his attitude, work ethic, and underrated athleticism, but this pick just screams SAFE. And again, not that there's anything wrong with going with the safe pick, but I was ecstatic that the Texans had the opportunity of drafting Nick Fairley.

We can talk all we want about Mario's inability to consistently get to the QB, whether it be lack of effort or due to injury, but the push up the middle is something that opposing QBs have never had to deal with against this team. Having someone that is able to consistently collapse the pocket from the inside would help out Mario and Antonio immensely, as the QB then has to either take a few steps back or run into one of the DE's waiting arms.

I guess I just see NT as our biggest area of need, as the Amobi Okoye project is running out of "potential," and I'm not sold on Mitchell being much of a playmaker at the position.
Fairley is not a NT. If you asked him to take on double teams every play and eat space he would instead take to eating double cheeseburgers.

I expect him to succeed because he is in a great situation for him, being next to Suh and Van Denbosch, two guys who will beat the #(*% out of him if he slacks off or complains.