View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011   #208
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I was actually replying to the link CnD posted with people whining and crying at the chron.com

He fits our scheme perfectly, and allows us flexibility in how we utilize MW. To generate a pass rush all game you have to have a solid rotation of guys, and now we have that at DE, and we can move MW outside in obvious passing situations. I think MW becomes our version of Ware, where he gets moved outside but rushes 90% of the time.

I'd love to see our nickel D be a 2-4-5 with Watt and Smith inside, MW, Brawin/Anderson outside, Meco and Cush with 5 DBs (hopefully a few new ones)

One thing I can't understand is that fans have blasted us in the past for drafting for need and in some cases reaching for need, and this year we go BPA and people are slamming us for not filling needs at OLB and DB. I did not want Prince. There was a great article several weeks ago looking at how the top CBs performed against top level competition and Prince did not fare well at all. Harris did and he might be there for us in rd 2. I would have been happy with Quinn, but a lot of guys thought he was better suited for a 4-3, similar to Kerrigan. I like Fairley, but I don't think he fits our scheme.
I actually think some of the blasting is for thinking Watt wasn't BPA and that guys like Fairley and Quinn were better overall players. The thinking being Watt was the safe pick. Just from what I'm reading. My concern is he going to get caught up in traffic in the 3-4. Some of the highlight stuff I watched and some other pieces shows him not even getting touched on plays...like blocked.. so I'm not sure how he will do with a big body getting to him in the NFL. I like him overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I dont know if Mario has Ware's first step. I'm curious to find out, and if Wade thinks he can I'll give themt he benefit of the doubt for now. It's something to watch in the OTAs and training camp.
I could be wrong but my initial answer is their first step isn't close. I remember when we got Ware and the guy was known for bending on the edge and his quick step. The guy gets off the line. Mario isn't slow but I find him or of a size/moves guy than a speed guy. He doesn't have the lean.