View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011   #142
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm thinking either linebacker or secondary. We haven't been able to do anything in free agency, and if we strike out there we have to have SOMEONE to play the positions. Even still, Mitchell and Cody don't excite me at all.

So many needs.
I can see Wade thinking he can go grab some sleeper-type pick in round 2, thinking this: "I have Mario, I have Barwin, and I have JJ Watt. I have my speed guys. I need my trashy, gritty guy right in the big fat middle of the dline to tie up two blockers."

I think Amobi and Smith and Cody are borderline JAGs unless they adapt and buy-in and just decide to pick up the lunch pail and play lineman in a 3-4. IIRC, one of Antonio's concerns when he came here from Arizona was that Arizona had been routinely dropping him down inside the dline (Arizona shifted their dline guys around a bunch that year, on almost every play IIRC) and he was saying he felt he did better the further out from the center he could get.

I could be wrong. Antonio could be a good 3-4 player. Who knows.

I am hoping Mario, Barwin and Watt become a good trio out there.

The scouting combine stats on Watt are crazy. He had the best vertical out of his competitors, almost the best broadjump, and almost the best bench presses. Those are seriously the attributes of someone who can PHYSICALLY do more than the others surrounding him. He's going to be better at jumping and batting down QB passes (something hardly any of our guys did last year), because of his broad jump skills he's going to be able to leave his feet and cover lots of ground when he's got to go make a play on a ball carrier, and his strength and endurance when using his strength on the field (holding up over a long period of time) is going to be very good.

Throw in the fact that he never stops (like Barwin) and I can't help but feel good. I feel better about this than had we picked up some guy who is a project player. You know what you're getting with Watt: A guy who hustles, has the measurable qualities that are superior to his competitors in this draft, and is--technically--a guy filling a need.

We talk about BPA and need. I think this filled both those categories at once. It's also going to be up to Wade to use him right, and up to Watt to be the player Wade thinks he can be. He's just "a pick" right now. I'm not hating the pick, and now all I care is to see how does out there.