View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Blue Crew pals only!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
I went to Red Bluff Elementary back in 1976 and 1977!!! I rode the bull at Gilley's when I was about 6 years old. I remember that well. A good looking chick held my hand and it moved as slow as possible. I grew up in a beer joint my step dad owned off I-10 and McCarty Dr. We were all over the east and southeast side growing up...
I knew a few people from Red Bluff Elementary at PHS. We were in school around the same time (I'm 43 so a few years ahead). I went to Garfield elementary on transfer, as the folks didn't want us to be 'latch key kids' at that age, so we ended up at a daycare every day after school until mom could get off work and rescue us.

Cool story about the bull! Those were the days, and I remember the buzz around town when "Urban Cowboy" was being filmed. Then it was years of folks coming from all over the country to visit Gilleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I used to work at that power plant off Light Company Rd . I guess from 82 to 88 . If you jumped on Old Galveston and drove about 10 miles south , that's where I grew up .

I had to sing Christmas carols at the Pasedena Plaza in 5th grade . We had a Weingartens and a Monkey Wards there also . My parents liked to go to Wyats cafeteria on payday and then walk around Woolworths . Then they put an Oshman's in when I was about 13 ... yeah .

We were told that Rayburn and Parkview were the rich kids and that one day we'd probably work for them . That's how they got us up for games . I know some Rayburn guys , some Dobie guys to .

About Sherwood .

http://www.houstonpress.com/1997-05-...rwood-s-rules/
I remember reading that story about Sherwood! After reading it I realized that all the stories I was told as a kid about him were true!

Funny about Rayburn and Parkview (my younger sis went there). I adapted pretty quick and was fortunate to meet a lifelong friend across the street from our new home. We started a rock band right away, and since he was a really nice guy and popular (his older bro was a football star at the school), I got to ride his coattails a little bit. My sister always resented being at Rayburn, though, and would hang out with the trashy crowd just to piss off the folks. Good times, man.

Funny about all the places you mentioned as they all come flooding back. That Oshmans was a big deal when it was new. All the cool kids got to wear their dessert boots and Ocean Pacific stuff, but I was still stuck with Weiners and Sears clothes. Made me mentally tougher in the long run, though, not fitting in and following the crowd.