View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004   #79
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ogre or someone else with good Oilers knowledge--was that more his fault or did the line or something else fail in the subsequent seasons?
Gary Brown had his good year when Lo got hurt in that bizarre '93 season. They broke up the team in '94. Brown benefitted greatly from the R&S system. The Oilers led the league in pass attempts for something like 4 straight seasons and defenses never played to stop the Oilers running game because they were too worried about Hill, Givins, Duncan, and Slaughter. Moon was throwing more than 600 times per season back then. Lo had over a grand one season too and he and Pinkett combined for over a grand a couple other years. They may have somewhat similar styles but I don't think these Gary Brown and DD comparisons are all that relevant because the systems they were in are about as 180 out as you can get. Plus, Gary Brown was a 230 lb. RB who could take and dish a helluva lot more pounding than DD.

I hope all this Hollings optimism comes to fruition. A few good games against the likes of Vandy and Kentucky or whoever it was, and a year of spot play and rehab here doesn't give me a whole lot of data points. What I saw last year was a guy with little vision, drive, or cutback ability... unable to function between the tackles (yes, because of the knee). He did show great speed around the corner a few times on the toss-sweeps, but as I've said many times before he gets a rain check for last season because of the rehab. This year we will see whether he's going to be a legit NFL back or not. I hope he does emerge as a serious threat to take DD's job because if that happens, it's nothing but good for the Texans.

Last edited by aj.; 07-27-2004 at 07:46 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote