View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011   #29
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grade Cushing's Season ( I give him an D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixgosu View Post
lol? No need to , the numbers speak for themselves. Interceptions down to ZERO...that's a four hundred percent decline year on year. Forced Fumbles, Sacks, and Passes deflected production fell by over HALF year on year.

Only an ***** would think that's acceptable.....don't even get me started on when some of the plays last year occurred vs. this year. Most of this year's production was Insignificant.
Going from four to zero is a 100% decline, not 400%.

But a simple math mistake isn't nearly as embarrassing as posting a thread with an extreme opinion before doing any research, analysis, or provision of supporting data. If you are unfamiliar with how this works, let me show you:

This is called research:

Our secondary has allowed 277 passing yards per game, worst in the league. They have allowed 55 completions of over 20 yards, which is tied for 3rd worst with the Cowboys and Redskins. We have allowed 17 completions of over 40 yards, worst in the league.

This is called analysis:

The data poses these questions: How has an unsupportive secondary effected the stats of the front seven? How do Cushing's stats compare to the rest of the front seven? How do Cushing's stats compare to the rest of the linebackers in the league?

Let's list the data:

Antonio Smith: Tackles- 35 // Sacks- 4 // F Fumbles- 1 // Int- 0 // Pass Def- 2
Mark Anderson: Tackles- 25 // Sacks- 4 // F Fumbles- 0 // Int- 0 // Pass Def-2
Shaun Cody: Tackles- 35 // Sacks- 0 // F Fumbles- 1 // Int- 0 // Pass Def-0
Amobi Okoye: Tackles- 39 // Sacks- 2 // F Fumbles- 0 // Int- 0 // Pass Def-0
Earl Mitchell: Tackles- 27 // Sacks- 1 // F Fumbles- 0 // Int- 0 // Pass Def- 0
Mario Williams: Tackles- 28 // Sacks- 8.5 // F Fumbles- 1 // Int- 0 // Pass Def- 2
Kevin Bentley: Tackles- 50 // Sacks- 0 // F Fumbles- 0 // Int- 1 // Pass Def- 1
Zach Diles: Tackles- 79 // Sacks- 0 // F Fumbles- 0 // Int- 0 // Pass Def-0

Brian Cushing: Tackles- 71 // Sacks- 2 // F Fumbles- 1 // Int- 0 // Pass Def-4

The front seven have one interception, credited to Bentley. They have four forced fumbles, of which Cushing is credited for one. The entire defense has 28 sacks, of which Mario has 8.5 and Cushing has 2. The front seven have 9 passes defensed, of which Cushing has 4.

Cushing has 6.45 tackles per game, and Zach Diles has 5.26. Glover Quin has 80 tackles, and 5.3 per game. Bernard Pollard leads the defense in total tackles (112) and tackles per game (7.46).

Comparing this to the rest of the league:

There is a three way tie among linebackers for the most interceptions: AJ Hawk, EJ Henderson, and Takeo Spikes. They each have three.

James Harrison leads all linebackers in forced fumbles with 6.

Derrick Johnson of KC leads all linebackers in passes defensed with 15. Second place is London Fletcher with 11.

Cameron Wake of Miami has 15 sacks. He plays in a 3-4.

Jared Mayo leads all linebackers in tackles with 169. Stephen Tolluck has 155.

This is called a conclusion:

Cushing leads the front seven in tackles per game with 6.45.

Cushing leads the front seven in passes defensed with 4.

Cushing leads the linebackers in sacks with 2.

Cushing has more tackles than Demarcus Ware (61), Terrell Suggs (65), and safety Troy Palomalu (62).

At Cushing's current rate of 6.45 tackles per game, he would have 96 to 97 total tackles if he played 15 games, a stat that still does not account for playing two games at MLB. This year, James Laurenitis leads all second-year defenders with 105 tackles.

Cushing missed four games, was taken out of his natural position for two, and plays for a secondary that allows footballs to be thrown over his head the entire game, yet he can still hang with the upper tier of linebackers in the league.

I'm not making this case because I want to unconditionally defend Cushing; I just don't like it when erroneous ideas are spread because people act on popular sentiment without checking their facts.

But being the nice guy that I am, I'll share with you my secret source for my vast football knowledge. It's here. But it's a secret, so don't tell anyone.

Last edited by Brisco_County; 01-02-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote