View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
The flat pass is not a touch pass and that's one of the reasons you see what looks like an over throw.
Ibar--I am not talking about anything to do with Carr specifically or the zip on the pass--it isn't that it "looked like" an over throw to Bradford, it is that the ball passed three feet over his head and hit the ground 5+ yards down field in front of him, i.e. it was an overthrow.

Quote:
Slight differences in the angle or the power of the throw lead to great variances. Its harder for the receiver to run under the ball. The arching throw, however, is more easily defended do to timing of the ball getting to the receiver. There is simply more time to defend the reception.
You are leaving out a key piece of your analysis. A ball travelling on a flatter trajectory will stay within the 3ft to 7ft off the ground band (i.e. where it is more catchable) for much more of the time it is travelling down field and more in line with the movement of the WR travelling horizontally down field than one thrown to the same distance but in a more arcing trajectory--think frisbee vs. lawn dart. Bottom line, whatever style of QB needs to deliver a catchable ball to the WR and all three Texans' WR's missed serious long opportunities to Bradford and AJ last year.