View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010   #45
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft position question

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
He's a prototypical 4-3 OLB for starters. I feel he regressed this year, which I attribute to him being clean and poor coaching, but more of the later. He isn't a Ware/Woodley/Barwin type of player. He's an instinctive tackler. He is very good at flowing and then making the play by beating the design of the block. He's not a pass-rusher. He's not a coverage OLB, though he is good enough covering the TE drags. A 3-4 MLB doesn't need to move around as much, or flow as I'm calling it. He needs to play downhill and be a gap-filler, taking advantage of the necisitated blocks by the NT and DE's shooting the outside shoulder in most cases. Sharper and Foreman were good MLB's but they weren't even serviceable LB's (I think Sharper might have played decently in SEA? after us, but my point stands) after they moved from our scheme. Cushing is perfect for the position he plays. He also played out of position this year due to Ryans injury, but he is a perfect 4-3 SOLB who can trail a TE drag when shifts are made at the line and he becomes the WOLB (we don't move our LB's with shifts).

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree that he can't play 3-4 OLB. I also disagree that he can't rush the passer. I think he is decent at it...Not great, but he's not poor.

I would not consider him for MLB at all. 3-4 or 4-3. Not that I think he can't do it physically....I just think that is not how he is wired mentally...

He likes to play downhill and he is very good in zone coverage. His man to man coverage isn't anything to write home about. When he has to swivel his hips to turn and run in coverage he looks a bit uncomfortable...But when he is facing the QB and able to break on the ball when it's thrown he is very good.

I think you are making playing 3-4 OLB compared to playing SLB in a 4-3 more complicated that it actually is when you are referring to gap shooting and such.

Physically there is nothing that would keep Cushing from being able to play 3-4 OLB...IMHO....

The main difference between a 4-3 MLB and a 3-4 MLB is that in a 3-4 they will have to take on more O-linemen on a regular basis....On leads/power type plays the playside MLB is expected to take on the blocks and the backside MLB is expected to come in and be able to make the tackle...OLB's need to be able to set the edge then fold back inside to make the tackle...

The Schemes are different but the 3-4 is not all that complicated how folks are making it seem...It's the different variations and responsibilities within the scheme where things get tricky....

I think the biggest thing is finding play makers on defense period...I really don't think our personnel is too far off to where we couldn't think about making the switch...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote