View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010   #44
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft position question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Why would he have to play MLB?

Trying to figure out how you came to that conclusion...
He's a prototypical 4-3 OLB for starters. I feel he regressed this year, which I attribute to him being clean and poor coaching, but more of the later. He isn't a Ware/Woodley/Barwin type of player. He's an instinctive tackler. He is very good at flowing and then making the play by beating the design of the block. He's not a pass-rusher. He's not a coverage OLB, though he is good enough covering the TE drags. A 3-4 MLB doesn't need to move around as much, or flow as I'm calling it. He needs to play downhill and be a gap-filler, taking advantage of the necisitated blocks by the NT and DE's shooting the outside shoulder in most cases. Sharper and Foreman were good MLB's but they weren't even serviceable LB's (I think Sharper might have played decently in SEA? after us, but my point stands) after they moved from our scheme. Cushing is perfect for the position he plays. He also played out of position this year due to Ryans injury, but he is a perfect 4-3 SOLB who can trail a TE drag when shifts are made at the line and he becomes the WOLB (we don't move our LB's with shifts).