View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010   #37
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft position question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Would Barwin make a good 3/4 OLB, Could an OLB like Miller be drafted in the 1st Rd. or Herzlich in the 2nd rd?

NT's that are Vets available in FA Solari,Franklin,Coffield. Cant a developmental NT be taken in RD 4/5?

Cant a good CB be found in rRd.1 or 2 and a FS and SS in rds 3 which there will be 2 with the compensation pick? (Dunta)

I'm not advocating a switch to a 3/4. But trust me if Cowher comes here and wants to run a 3/4 that shouldn't be a deterrent.

With the current Texan defense there's nowhere to go but up. They are terrible currently not just for this yr. But historically bad.
I do think Barwin would make a pretty good 3-4 OLB. Anyone (aside from who goes ahead of us) can be drafted in the first round, just look at Jason Babin.

NT is a tough spot to fill, and one that is worth having as an anchor won't be found floating around in the FA market. Hampton almost made it last year, but we all knew there was zero chance Pittsburgh was letting him walk. Even New England, who always let's guys walk only to fill their spot with another guy, bent themselves over backwards to give Vince a new long-term contract when he started bitching. That should show you the value of one. I do not believe in developmental guys as much as the next person, especially with the lack of player development our organization has proven to produce.

I actually agree that talent can be found in the secondary. I think there are 3 top 20 talents at CB. Peterson is the prize. He's the Eric Berry of this draft, but at CB (maybe a FS?). I really like Tyler Sash as a SS in the early third. He plays FS at Iowa I believe, but I just don't think he's an NFL FS. However, we need experience and leadership to take the next step. I put zero stock into anyone coaching them, this regime or the next. None. I have zero confidence in our player development as a whole. With that said, I am perfectly comfortable with this group NOT learning from Daunta Robinson.

There are other issues to move around, like Mario. Also, Cushing would have to be a MLB in the 3-4 I feel, which is not his strength. We'd need roughly 3 NFL caliber LB's, a prize NT, we still need a secondary, we'd need some coaching obviously, and quite a bit of patience.