View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010   #22
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft position question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Which wouldn't be a bad pick considering the fact that there will no doubt be a defensive coaching change. We could be running a 3-4 next year.

Picking in the 5-10 range also gives us an opportunity to trade down. Picks 5-10 are better trade bait than 1-4 IMO. Getting an extra 2nd rounder or maybe two 3rd rounders would be ideal in our situation.

I like the idea of going heavy pass rushing route if we go to the 3-4. We need a Ryan Kerrigan, Von Miller, Dareus type of player. While Darues isn't a pure pass rusher, he creates enough havoc and serves two purposes. After that we need to go safety in one of the next 2 rounds. Overall, I think we would be better served grabbing the front 7 players we need to add depth rather than draft a CB in the later rounds. If we can't get a top flight corner in this draft we may as well ignore it altogether. We have plenty of young corners, adding a veteran CB in the off-season would be the best move. It doesn't have to be Champ Bailey but a guy who can atleast play the nickel and start here and there.
I agree whole-heartedly with your post. Especially about a veteran CB. It looks like Bailey will be leaving Denver - I would LOVE to add his presence to our secondary. Any idea of how likely that may be? I think McNair will be more willing to get FAs this offseason than ever before. It will either be to (a) keep Smith/Kubiak's job and make it easier or (b) please the new coaching regime. I still think we're a Safety with range away but I would actually feel good about Bailey, Quin and Jackson at corner.

As far as our 1st rounder: What would I give for a true stud NT!!? Would Darius, Fairley, Paea or even Nevis from LSU be able to play 3-4 NT? If we could just add a veteran CB like Bailey I think our 1st/2nd rounders could really sure up the front seven with a NT/OLB combo or DE/OLB combo. Whether we're a 4-3 or 3-4, a NT and pass rusher could very well be had.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote