View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I'm sure that most of Bradford's attempted receptions were further down field on the average. I think that is a key contributor to the difference. Keep in mind that Bradford only dropped one pass last season.
I sure you're right that it was a contributing factor. To what extent, I'm not sure. Here are Bradford, Johnson, & Gaffney's average per reception (AVG) & yards after catch stats (YAC). From those numbers, you can calculate the average yardage where their receptions were made, or point of catch (POC).

Player - Avg - YAC - POC
Bradford - 19.2 - 9.9 = 9.3
Johnson - 14.8 - 6.7 = 8.1
Gaffney - 11.8 - 3.9 = 7.9

So Bradford's receptions do come on average over one yard further down the field. Whether that makes up for the 12%-15% percentage points in completions, I'm not sure.

Regarding the dropped pass statistic, I don't know what the criteria used in determining what was or wasn't catchable. Do you have to have both hands on the pass to make it a drop? If there is contact, does that give the WR a "pass" on the drop? What you & I consider a drop may be entirely different than those who came up with the stat.

Whatever the case may be, I just don't see Bradford becoming a substantially larger part of the offense than he already is. No matter who or what is to blame for the low completion %...it's low. And I can't see it getting much higher. For Bradford to be a 60 catch WR at that %, he'd need to average about 10 attempts to him per game. That's just too large a % of the Texan passing game to allocate to him.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote