View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010   #156
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19489 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: im done with schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
This team has a long term deficit in terms of how many high round draft picks have been spent on the secondary. We should have Revis and one of the better, young FSs on this team and we don't. That's the problem. I can't tell you we'd be on our way to the SB, but we'd be a LOT closer to making that run. I know we got KJ in the first round, but that had to be done just to replace Robinson....and we already had a problem. I hope that KJ will get better with experience. I don't know, but we can't spend two-thirds of every draft on DTs and TEs. We need a secondary.

We will continue to have this kind of D until we get one...
The problem is not that we've had too many DTs/TEs, to the lack of secondary. In fact, I think we've massively overdrafted on secondary, by the numbers. The problem has been (like you said), that we haven't spent our top round draft picks on the secondary.

Since Rick Smith came ('07-'10 drafts), we've had:
2007: secondary in rounds 4, 5; other defense rounds 1, 7; offense rounds 3, 5, 6 (plus round 2 for Schaub)
2008: secondary in rounds 3, 6; other defense rounds 4, 5; offense rounds 1, 3, 7 (plus round 2 for Schaub)
2009: secondary in rounds 4, 6, 7; other defense rounds 1, 2; offense rounds 3, 4, 5
2010: secondary in rounds 1, 6; other defense rounds 3, 4; offense rounds 2, 4, 6, 6, 7

So, we've had more picks (9) in the secondary than in the rest of the defense combined (8). (14 picks, or 16 if you count the 2 Schaub ones, were for offense).

When you look at where those picks fall, though, the average position of those picks has been in round 4.667 for the secondary, round 3.375 for the rest of the defense, and round 4.42 for the offese (4.125 if you count the Schaub picks).

So, there has actually been a lot more drafting of secondary than I'd have guessed, but they haven't picked them very high.