Thread: Team Cowher
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010   #59
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Cowher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think the GM here has more sway with McNair than the coach does.

Rick Smith is going to be around for a very very long time.

The key will be, IMO, to get a guy like Cowher who will say "No. You can keep Rick Smith and his role the way it is, but with amendments and alterations based upon what I want as head coach."

I imagine a guy like Cowher would ensure that if he wants to sign a Cedric benson-type player and needs a few extra dollars to get it done...then it's going to get done. If Cowher wants something, he needs to be able to veto any dispute Rick Smith might have.

This would have to be done under extreme discipline and with the understanding that the GM still gets to be a major part of the process--mostly with the actual construction of the contract(s)--but when it comes to identifying and securing a player that The Chin says he wants...I think Cowher has to be assured he can get that player.

Well, but, the thing is, McNair will give Kubiak anything he wants. ANYTHING. I just think Kubiak is too clueless to do anything substantial with it. Why do you think this job is considered a hot job? Because coaches know that if they come here, they have full financial support from McNair. We can get almost any coach we wanted.

I agree about Rick Smith. He ain't going nowhere. I actually like the talent he's been able to find.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote