View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010   #1258
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
How long does it take for a coach to "finish" the job, TK? This question has nothing to do with Schwartz or Kubiak.

How many years of .500 type of football do you think is too many before you fire a head coach?
Every situation is different.

If I've got a top 10 defense in place like Cable did with the Oakland Raiders, I wouldn't think it would take him 2 years to start playing respectable football. To me, that's 7-9 to 9-7.

The 2005 Texans 7-9 season doesn't count for me, because that team obviously was a 4-12 to 7-9 team.

Our first 8-8 year didn't mean anything more to me than that 7-9 season. The second 8-8 season told me that's where we were. A solid middle of the road team. 2008.... 2009, I think that was a 10 win team, we only won 9, could have won 11...

This year, I firmly believe we have a 10 win team. 9 games ain't going to cut it. Had he not come up short (in my mind) last year, maybe I'd give him credit for what he's dealing with now. Had he exceeded my expectations, got 11 wins or 12 wins last season, maybe a 9-7 or 8-8 season would be over looked right now (by me). But he didn't.

He underperformed the team (my opinion), the team he built in 2009, so he gets no excuses (I've never said any different for 2010).

It sucks for him that he had to draw this schedule this year. But to under-perform his team two years in a row shouldn't be acceptable.

Marinelli was putting together a good team. Shwartz appears to be continuing that. I don't follow the Lions as closely as the Texans, so I don't know how far along they really are. I don't know the leadership situation or the injury situation, or the age of the talent. So I can't say how long "finish" would be in that situation. But anything less than 4 full seasons can't be right. Meaning if they fire him after year 3 I would think that was a little early.

Firing Jauron after what 2 years in Buffalo?? I don't remember, but I don't think he even finished his second year.
Quote:
In my opinion, if you haven't gotten it done (atleast the playoffs) after four years you need to be examined very closely.
This situation was different... I think McNair had a "do the right thing by my players" attitude that kept people on this roster, that Kubiak had to deal with. David Carr is only the most blatant one, & Kris Brown may have been one as well.

The QB thing is so important I don't have a problem giving Kubiak an extra year.

Quote:
This year it's completely different for me already.

I have seen enough. I guess 5 years is where I really, truly draw my line.
Exactly...... for me it's different because this team is the team he wanted. He's got the Co-ordinators he wanted. & many of these guys (his guys) have been here 3 years or longer.

The only difference between me & the soapers, is that I'm willing to give him till the end of the year to prove what kind of coach he is. The soapers feel they have seen enough.

Nothing wrong with that.