View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010   #636
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I have never... ever... ever,ever ever seen a game where the CBs did not give cushion. I have never seen a game where both corners played press coverage the entire game.

I think there is a reason for that.

Maybe we do it more than other teams...... I won't argue that. But that's basic defense & is in every teams play book.
Not saying press the corners the entire game. Not even saying press them at all. Just saying play them a little closer and not concede easy yards a majority of the time.

If I'm a QB and I know that your are going to play that soft zone and give my receivers a 6-7 yard cushion even when it's short yardage to go, I'm going to take that all day.

Go back and look at the Giants game...Before the announcers even said anything about how silly the Texans D looked playing that soft zone for the whole first half, I was wondering what kind of coach Kubiak really was.

Look at the play by play...Eli wasn't throwing deep over the middle. He was throwing short and intermediate passes outside of the hashes. This has long been a problem with this defense. They go into a mode where they just allow the opposing QB to have easy underneath passes.

In the second half you see we started to play up on the receivers some and 'coincidentally' we started getting more pressure on Eli and more forced throws.

I just can't understand playing your corner back 6 yards off the LOS when the offense only needs two yards for a first down. Makes absolutely no sense...especially if you have safety help over the top.

But I never said anything about pressing the corners or playing them a certain way for the whole game. The whole point is to mix it up. Pressing the whole game will get you beat just as bad as playing off the whole game.