View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010   #594
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I believe in the 4 year term. But I believe some coaches will get it done in 3 years, some coaches may need 5. I don't see anything wrong with that. I believe the situation they inherited & the way they decided to build the team will be a factor in how long it will take. To take this team from what he had, to Super Bowl contender, considering he wasn't ready to be a head coach when he took the job, 5 years is acceptable.

If Kubiak doesn't get this team to the play-offs, with this schedule, believe me, you won't hear any excuses from me. But to act as though he has already failed, when we are 3-2 & won our only division game so far, against our toughest division opponent at that.... is a little premature.

Lastly, results... I also believe there are some teams that W-L records are the last thing you need to be looking at when determining results. On a team that has never won (the Houston Texans) there focus can't be on winning & losing. Talent level has to get to a certain level, and the level of play has to get to a certain level before W-L becomes the primary focus. To me, 2009 is the only season that the W-L tells you anything about this team. The Detroit Lions shouldn't be worried about W-L, the St Louis Rams shouldn't be worried about W-L, the SF 49ers & the Oakland Raiders don't need to be worried about W-L. They need to be focused on acquiring talent & learning to play football at the highest level. Other wise, you're going to end up with 10+ years of bad football.

Kubiak chose to build primarily through the draft, & young Free Agents. That already sets you up for a long transition. You don't have to agree with how Kubiak decided to build. Just acknowledge it. To judge him against coaches who went heavy with FAs is disingenuous.

I believe this team is a Super Bowl contender (to me that means they should be able to get to the play-offs and do well). We'll see if Kubiak where Kubiak stands as a head coach.
Let's not pretend Kubiak struck gold in the draft every year. So far,
we can only say that about the '06 draft. He took Amobi Okoye over
Patrick Willis in the '07 draft. That decision, in my opinion, lost
his standing of "draft guru." If you're going to "build through the draft,"
you'd BETTER hit in EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.

The current Lions staff has had two drafts, and have gotten first round studs in both.
Matthew Stafford and Ndamukong Suh. Two drafts, two bell cows. The Texans
can not say the same.