Thread: Its Time
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian
I very much dislike "running-back-by-committee". I hope we do NOT do that. Pick the best guy, with the best combo of present performance and future potential, and give him the green light. Let him run with full confidence...not looking over his shoulder.
I don't like "running-back-by-committee" where it refers to a team with a bunch of mediocre backs that they keep subing in with the only real hope being they will be fresh and maybe every once in a while one will hit a groove. On the other hand spelling backs and getting inexperienced backs time is good conservation of assets.

As a contrary example look at Ricky Williams last year. The Dolphins ran him 76 times in weeks 2 & 3 last year. Even though they had a week 4 bye, the next week he had a 1.8 ypc and it was another 7 weeks until he broke 4 ypc--in that time he also had a 3.0 ypc week and 3 sub-3 ypc weeks. They are wearing a great back out.