View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004   #17
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I know that the Cowboys have had great QBs none were 'prolific' passers. For example: Troy Aikman had 7 season (out of 12) with less then 3000 passing, he averaged 199.65 yards passing per/game through out his career. For comparision purposes. Peyton Manning is a 'prolific passer' because in his 6 years only 1 of his season does he have less then 4000 yards passing. In 1/2 of the time of Aikman, Manning has already accumalted 75% of Aikman career passing, Manning has also averaged 260 yards per game.

Troy Aikman's stats

Roger Stabach (minus seasons where he played in 4, 6, and 8 games), averaged 191 yards per game during his career, and intresting enough, his 2 best years came when Tony Dorsett came to town

These guys are Hall of Famers and great QBs. I am not trying to take anything away from them, but they werent 'prolific' passer, great passer, but never had the stats that other QBs had. Favre averages 240 yards per game, he is a prolific passer, Aikman only averaged 199, is that prolific? To me it isnt...
Troy was as prolific as he needed to be to help us dominate the league for 4 consecutive years in the 90's. You can't do more than you are asked to and you can't always control the situation, i.e. owner, coaches, supporting players, around you. Just ask Marino, Elway or Manning.

It all comes down to the offensive system you are in. anyone who doesn't think Troy would have put up unbelievable numbers in an offense like the Rams or Vikings have is just high. Troy had all the tools, but he was also a great TEAM player who played his possition EXACTLY as he was called upon.
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote