Little things may make a big difference!
Here's a quote from Capers.
Houston's one coaching change is also on defense, as Mike London replaces Todd Grantham as defensive line coach. But Capers envisions a smooth transition there.
"Mike had worked in a system at the University of Virginia where they were in a 3-4 defense very similar to our. He's a very good teacher and an outstanding technique guy. He's got a good background in teaching this kind of defense."
One player that London wasn't able to tutor Saturday was first-round draft pick Travis Johnson, who has become the Texans' first holdout in their brief history.
I look forward to seeing the results, because the D-line play while not receiving the attention of the O-line play was probably as big a problem as the O-line play last year. I'm going to give Capers his dues and say I think this might prove to be a small item which yields big time results. I like the comments I'm hearing on this change and I look forward to seeing the results.
Strangely, I think our offensive play will improve dramatically as our defense improves. Sounds strange, but I have eluded to this in other posts. Its very simple, we were one of the worst teams in the league in rushing the passer. Therefore our O-line wasn't being pressured enough in practice to see their weaknesses and had no competition to work against. This year could be very different. When you work against strong competition your game simply has to get better. Our lack of defensive pressure also put pressure on the Offense to produce and hold on to the ball longer. That put an emphasis on executing a very conservative offense to kill the clock. Its not that we did not have a defense last year, it was that it disappeared on a lot of occassions at key points in the game.
Now on some other small items which make big differences both positively and negatively.
1) BJ's Injury means once again no really potentially dominant TE.
2) Gaffny's injury certainly leaves question marks concerning the #2 spot.
3) However, as a whole, this year's squad reported with a lot fewer injuries than in previous years.
4) This year's squad is leaner and faster.
5) Corey is catching the ball? Hopefully he's improved his hands.
6) Mathis could be our secret weapon by the end of the season.
7) Morancy and Davis could be a 1 2 punch.
8) Our defense is younger, but faster.
9) TJ's lack of a contract could have a bearing on his impact for the season.
10) Will our kicking game be recovered from the injuries it sustained last year.
11) have all of the injures from year 2 finally healed and will those players regain their effectiveness prior to being injured?
12) Will this unit become a TEAM rather than a bunch of individuals?
13) Will AJ begin to assert himself on the field and become the GO TO GUY? Some comments might suggest he's thinking that way.
14) Will Chris Palmer finally get it?
15) Will our young rookie center replace McKinney by the beginning, middle or end of the season?
16) We cut a number of seasoned veterns like Glenn. Will that hurt us? On the other hand we picked up some younger outstanding players.
17) We are going back, in part, to the offensive scheme we employed in the 2nd year. I'm referring two the 3 step drop - quick release aspect.
18) Will TC be free of injuries and will we be a healthy team at the beginning of the season?
19) Will we miss the shure hands of JJ? He was a no quess possession man, but he could never take it all the way.
20) On the other hand do we have some returners who can now take it all the way at any time?
Having reflected on this and other points our we really at where we wanted to be starting year 3? I have often stated that I felt the 2nd year injuries had set this ball club back plan wise. Are we putting together the best of years 2 and 3? I really hope that is the case, but we will know more by the end of the 1st 2 games of the season.
I do hope this is the Texan's year. I look forward to hearing comments of those fortunate enough to be able to attend the practices and the preseason games. Lets pray for an injury free TC for the Team as well as the players.