View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
SecondHoneymoon had said, somewhere else on the board, that he wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Mathews was out injured with a hang nail (at some point in the season).

There's been some knocks on Fresno State players, especially David Carr. Now, David Carr was accused of several things. I just opened up a recent story about Ryan Mathews, to highlight who the Chargers just drafted as their next big-time running back, and what stands out (to me) is this:

Don't shoot the messenger on this. Just sharing something that stood out to me. Ryan Mathews has had problems being motivated to be a great football player.

The article also details how he stayed up late, a supposed "casualty" of being raised in a single-parent home and that he stayed uplate due to mom being away for late-shift work. Well, OK. So it means (potentially) he had to have someone put a boot in his rump or he isn't going to do what he ought to do.

He had to have coaches AND his mom intervene and beg him to not give up football.

Again, just examining the mental/emotional composition of someone who was so coveted by the Chargerst hat they decided to leap-frog teams just to get him.

For all the talk about Dez Bryant and what might push him over the edge as an NFL'er...what about a guy who is going to be pressured to be THE big-time running back for the Chargers, who has had bouts of apathy toward football?
Thats crazy. Glad we were jumped.