View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Well, well, well.....Is it possible that we might have some extra incentive to shut down Ryan Mathews when we play the Chargers? I think Pollard, Cushing, and a few others will make him wish he HAD been a Texan.

Quote:
It's not like me to go TMZ on you, but while scrolling through my news feeds last night I ran across an interesting quote by the San Diego Chargers first round pick Ryan Mathews.

You may recall that Mathews, the junior running back from Fresno State, was reported by some to be a first round draft target of the Texans.

But it doesn't appear that Mathews was all that keen on the idea of becoming a Texan according to a recent article in San Diego Entertainer Magazine.

“All the talk about Houston and stuff, it really started to scare me and everything,” said Mathews in the article.

Now before you blow up the comments section under that article, keep in mind that we have little or no context for what Mathews said and why he said it. click here to read the full story...

My take on this: He wanted to stay in California, and that's cool. But the main issue here, IMO, is that we missed out on a running back (Mathews) who might not have wanted to be here.

Sure, he could have come around once he saw the $$$ and got over the initial "pain" of not being selected by the Chargers. Nonetheless, it's an issue of Tate being thrilled (just to play at all!) and Mathews being picky.

Whether this is manufactured drama or not, it's still SOMETHING to think about and build up as we get going and eventually face the Chargers.