View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How bout this draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
There wasn't a more sure thing coming out than Amobi Okye. OK....so what the point of the post is is there is a great risk to hit one of the six percenters at Dt who become studs. Now if you hit it's fine. But why wouldn't you wait on the DT ? Isn't the value later in the draft on DTs ? They have to improve the rushing attack. And all evidence so far is they will do it with a back. So my Question to your question is what if Steve Slaton is not on line by September ? Then what ? What we know for a fact that at sixteen touches a game Steve Slaton broke down in 2009. I mean I'm with you in one respect. I do what I have to do to get Iupati and shore up the rushing attack. That's should be priority one. Only so many Houdini third and longs Matt has in the tank, then we're going to pay a heavy price. Matt goes down, won't matter who the CBs are or the Rb or the DT is. We're toast.
I don't know about Okoye being close to a sure thing. His own college coach passed on him. With dt being such a hard position to hit on in the draft and so hard for players to learn in the nfl the fact that the Texans took an even greater chance on Okoye because he was so young was baffling at the time. The Texans passed on Patrick Willis and Darrelle Revis to take him. I would say that Willis at the time was the most sure thing in the draft. Most of us fans wanted the Texans to draft him but were disappointed to see them take Okoye.

Having said that I still wouldn't rule out dt in the 1st round if say a Dan Williams is there. A really good dt can elevate a defence tremendously. Okoye might be better than what we have seen if he could only play next to a dt that can man handle some ol. The Texans have never had a good dt since Seth Payne. That and the safety position are real sore spots on this defense.

I just don't see the value in taking a rb in the first round this year. There just isn't enough difference between what you can get in the 1st and what you can get in the 2nd and 3rd. CJ Spiller maybe but I just don't think that what they need is a smallish back right now. With Slaton playing so poorly last year and having surgery after the season I think the Texans mindset has to be to find a rb that can replace him if things don't work out. Mathews maybe but in the 1st round? I think you get better value with a Tate, Hardesty, Gerhart, or Dwyer somewhere in the next 2 rounds.

This draft seems to be loaded with cb talent so that is another position that I would wait on and not fill in the 1st. And again the talent that is graded out to go in the 1st round to me doesn't look a whole lot different than the talent graded out to go in the next 2 rounds.

One of the weakest draft classes looks to be at free safety. If Thomas is there I think you take him without hesitation. Same thing with dt. If Williams is there you take him. If both are there I don't know. If neither are there then bpa between ol (Iupati), cb (Haden or Wilson), and rb (Mathews). If the draft plays out that way the Texans just have to hope that some really good value players are there in rounds 2-4 at their other positions of need. Kind of like what happened in the 2006 draft. They got DeMeco Ryans in the 2nd, Eric Winston in the 3rd, and Owen Daniels in the 4th.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote