View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How bout this draft?

Y'all asked about DT information. Here it is:

The number of 1st Round DTs from 2004-2009
6 - 3 every year.

Best DT 1st round Draft Class
2004 had Two Pro Bowlers (Tommie Harris and Vince Wilfork) and avg. the most tackles and sacks. (187/13.8)

Percentage still on team

77% - Only two DTs from 04-09 are not with their original that selected them. Travis Johnson (05) who was traded after 4 years, and Marcus Tubbs (04) who only played 3 years.

Number of 1st Round Pro Bowlers from 04-09
3 (Tommie Harris and Vince Wilfork in 04 and Haloti Ngata in 06) 6% of total from 04-09.

Top 10 DT 1st round picks from 04-09

Picked 11-20

20-32

8 - to teams like Philly, San Diego, Bills (who got that pick through trade in 06/not a playoff team) 49ers, Falcons (playoffs), Steelers (Super Bowl Champs), Chicago, and New England.

I was suprised to see how few DTs were selected in the first round during that time period. When I think of how The Texans need impact players RIGHT NOW to get in the playoffs, I'm realizing how the first round is not for us to pick a DT. I'm curious how many later round DTs have made a bigger impact. Even if you look at the DTs that were selected last year, and many here and on TV said they would be studs, BJ Raji was the most productive with 25 tackles and 1 sack.

For my money, I'm going with a DB (hopefully a saftey named Earl Thomas) in the first round. Seems like even a RB has a better chance than a DT does in the first round to be more productive.

Perhaps if I were a team like that was already a playoff team, super bowl contender or super bowl champ, I would spend it on at DT. They after all had the later picks and picked the most DTs from 04-09. They also had the most success. Perhaps because their D was already good and they added a DT as a contributor, not a solution.

The teams that picked a DT in the first top 10, 2 out of 3 haven't made the playoffs (Hou, KC) and the one that did, well it wasn't because of BJ Raji.

The teams that picked the middle 11-20 are typically teams that didn't make the playoffs or a playoff contender, only Broderick Bunkley and Haloti Ngata were picked that are worth anything. Thats 2 out of 6 over 04-09. Not good for a team looking for their first pick to be a impact player and push them to the playoffs.

Here's what I found about DTs in the first round and why I don't want us to go that route.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote