Originally Posted by steelbtexan
1. Wilson- love this pick
2. Tate- I would wait a rd because one of Tate, Hardesty, Gerhart will fall. I love Joseph he's my 4th rated DT and is exactly what the Texans D is missing IMHO
3. Take the RB that falls hopefully Tate
4. Petrus or my favorite Newhouse hopefully falls to the 4th. I would consider using a 2011 pick to move up to the 3rd and take one of them.
5. Lewis- One of my favorite CB/S in this draft Smart long armed fast guy. If he's not there Johnson or T.Skinner should be there and would be a quality pick.
6. Austin- Dont like him and would rather double dip at RB. L.Coker or Stefon Johnson would be my choice.
6.Church- Dont know much about him but I would rather double dip at DT Kade Weston or Tevaseau would be my choice.
7. If McFadden is there you snatch him up in a heart beat. Dont think he'll be there. My choice Best K or P available.
I really like the time and thought you put into this mock.
2 & 3. I didn't want to wait on Tate or take the chance that he falls to the 3rd round, we all saw what happened to the Texans last year when waiting an extra round for a good RB. Coffee was taken before us because we waited and chose to take a situational, backup DE in the 2nd round instead of a starter. We tried to get cute and got bit instead. Hardesty is impressive but he's got an injury history and I don't like Gerhart for a ZBS system, just not quick enough. I think he's much more suited for a power blocking scheme like Minnesota or Pittsburgh run. Gerhart reminds me of John Riggins, and Riggins was successful because he ran behind the Hogs. Tate is quicker and just perfect for our needs.
4. Again I don't want to try and out think everyone else and take the chance that someone you really like falls. You can get screwed hard that way. There's 31 other teams picking plus compensatory picks at the end of the 3rd round. I like Newhouse as well and considered J.D. Walton as well, I'd take them in the 3rd also.
6. I thought of double dipping on a RB but with Slaton, Johnson, Foster, and Henry we really don't need any more youthful backup RB's. A late round RB wouldn't bring anything new to the team that these guys can't do and seems a waste of a pick when we've already got so much youth at RB.
6. Interesting idea on double dipping on the DT's but I chose Church because Ferguson and Barber suck and we need some depth behind Pollard, it shouldn't be that hard to be better than those guys. I also see Church as a special teams standout. I've seen a little bit of film on the guy and agree with rmartin65 he plays SS like a LB. He should be a good headhunter on special teams.
7. I've had a K and P in previous mocks but we just re-signed Turk (bad decision, JMO) so he's our P and Brown has several more years under contract and I don't think the Texans are ready to give up on him yet. I would bring in an UDFA Kicker for training camp competition though.
Hope this answers your issues.