View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Draft Philosophy - Immediate impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Speaking generally on the point of this thread. The drafting Brian Cushing of the world as far the exception to the rule. He was a rookie who looked like Romonowski in the peek of his career and was a top 5 SLB in the NFL. This sort of impact is not "normal."

The good new for the Texans, is that couple of position that many think they need are found regularly (not just in the first round either). RB and FS are often contribute early. OG/c don't have to be early picks, but ususally take a year or two. The good news at DT is this is one of the best DT drafts in quite awhile as it has impact at the top and depth available most rounds.
Yup don't set yourself up for disappointment thinking guys are routinely going to come in and be a Ryans or Cushing. Many years teams will get a heavy impact player but often it isn't the top pick and even then that doesn't mean perform at a pro-bowl level. I would add CB and OG as other positions where folks often contribute early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Pick any of the first fourteen games you choose and if you love o-line play it flat out hurts to watch the carnage and slop.

I highly doubt they take another sub 210 pound running back, not early anyway.
It was tough to watch. I will disagree on the size of the RB. I just don't think this coaching staff is size oriented. They are style oriented. Chris Brown looks like an exception but he played their style in college under Gibbs. And personally I think a team would be silly to pass on a MJD because he is 208 lbs.