View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Draft Philosophy - Immediate impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post
Maybe I'm imposing my personal impatience or that of Texans fans onto Kubiak and Smith. However, I have to believe that they feel 2010 is the year they need to break through. Schaub took a big step forward. AJ remains elite. We have an elite passing attack. The defense is improved and has a foundation of youth that will continue to improve. Much more so than 2008 and 2009, there's no excuse for not making the playoffs in 2010.

How does this impact their draft philosophy, particularly Rounds 1-3.

1. We need to draft players that will have immediate impact. We need another Cushing type addition, possibly 2.

2. I think Pollard and Dunta will be brought back. It is very rare to have a CB take over as a starter as a rookie. I don't know that anyone other than Hayden projects to that type of rookie. Continued improvement on defense is going to come from Dunta being 1 more year removed/recovered from the surgery and injury, from continuity, and from young players improving.

3. In think we wanted Coffee or Shonn Greene last year, and they were taken before our pick came up in the third round. I think at the time, Kubiak and Smith had strong misgivings about that. With our garbage run game, bare cupboard at RB, they can't let it happen again, and if anything, they'll overcompensate to make sure it doesnt.

4. Where does this leave the draft?

I think it's a lock they take Dwyer in the first round or Highest rated RB in second round. That would have the greatest impact on our team in 2010, no doubt about it.

From there, the next highest impact positoin is FS. I'd take highest rated, perhaps Thomas in Rd 1, or the BPA at FS in Round 2.

DT's are too big a gamble in the draft. To shore up the line, McNair just needs to spend the money.

Interior OL - I believe we can continue to stockpile talent and depth in the middle rounds. It's very possible to find startign caliber talent in the middle rounds.

Perhaps this is all elementary, but I think expectations and our experience from the 2009 draft will shape Kubiak's and Smith's behavior in the 2010 draft.
I agree with your line of thinking that we need immediate impact from our rookies. Some solid football players like Cushing.

I definitely want Pollard back and am on the fence concerning Dunta. I basically want him re-signed solely for the reason that it opens our draft and we aren't forced to take a cb early (unless we get a FA). I do think CB's like Kyle Wilson, Perrish Cox and maybe even Patrick Robinson or Brandon Ghee have the chance to make immediate impact.

I could see them taking a RB early this year, as where that's usually not the M.O. I doubt they take Dwyer at 20 though. I think they're still going to take BPA b/c that player, no matter what position, will probably make an immediate impact. If we take a RB early, he's going to have to be the whole package. Runner, Receiver and BLOCKER.

Also, you bring up finding starting calibre OL in the middle rounds? I think that's possible but I don't see why the same can't be said about RB, too. I feel like this is a really deep class and we're going to be able to find contributers throughout the draft. I always look forward to what sort of things Kubiak and Smith can pull off during the draft and this year is certainly no different. I think we could end up talking about the 2010 draft like we do about the 2006!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote