View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010   #3
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In progress Awtysst Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer000 View Post
I could see us getting Kuper but thats about it. I doubt the Texans will trade for both of them. And taking a LB first is not exactly what we need. Zac Diles does a good job on the weak side. Idk why people are always taking away from him.
Like I said this was a "mock in progress." Whether we get both or none, I was simply making a projection based on rumors I heard.

I am glad you brought up the notion of me taking away from Diles. This needs to be made abundantly clear. I am not taking anything away from Diles. I am a fan of the Houston Texans, not any specific player. The point of a mock is to improve the team. Is Diles a solid player? Yes, is Witherspoon better? I think so. I see Witherspoon as the BPA in this spot. Smart teams like the Steelers take the BPA and deal with player shuffling later. Bad teams like the Browns choose to fill needs and reach rather than go BPA. Good teams like the Steelers draft a few key positions (like QB) and then are available for upgrade in almost every other position. The key in a drafting is not to get too attached to your own personnel. Diles is a solid OLB, Witherspoon is a playmaker. This is a certain upgrade in my mind.

We may not "need" a LB today, but who knows about tomorrow. We did not "need" a cornerback or LB in 2007, so we passed on Revis and Patrick Willis. Now in 2010 we look back and say, wow, maybe we should have gone BPA. We became too attached to our own guys and instead took a reach for a kid with "potential." Okoye may turn out great, and I hope he does, but taking BPA is always the best strategy towards building a stable contending football team. Draft a few centerpieces and then be prepared to upgrade other pieces throughout.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote