Thread: Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't think the yearly cost of the combined salaries is the issue working against big free agent signings. I actually think there are two main concerns:

1. Salary Cap- Obviously, if 2010 is uncapped, it becomes less of an issue.

2. This is the biggy! With all the young talent on the team approaching tenure and nearing their first big payday, paying premium dollars to top tier FAs can cause major issues with the salary structure within the team. If we sign, let's say, Karlos Dansby to a $60 million contract. Then, what does that do to negotiations with Demeco Ryans? He is probably going to demand at least that much money, if not more. Having this happen a couple of times could cause turmoil in the locker room and lead to losing talent or severely inflating the salary structure of the team causing Bob McNair financial issues and leading to Salary Cap issues if/when it is reinstituted.
Bob McNair financial isuues? LOL

I'm willing to take that chance to finally improve the OL.

Couldn't the Jets for example say that signing B.Scott could hurt their s future contract negotiations with David Harris. Or signing Leonhard could hurt them in re-signing Former all-pro K.Rhodes?

Every team is in this situation.

It's all about committment.

Does McNair wanto step up to the plate like Woody Johnson and the Jets?

Or does he wanto run his organization like Mike Brown and the Bengals?

Only time will tell.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote