View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible 2nd round draft picks for the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I hope everyone has been following the Senior Bowl practices this week. All three of these guys have been impressive and Ben Tate has probably moved himself up to the 2nd round.

I like the Senior Bowl better than the combine for talent evaluation since it's in pads practices/drills against top competition in real game situations with a real game at the end of the week. The combine is nice but it's all measureables and numbers, there's no game or in pad workouts, and that 40 time is so overvalued. They should run the 40 in full pads and helmet, not track suits.
My problem with Senior Bowl and East West is being able to know when player I want to watch is in the game. Often the announcers are talking crap with some former player that I care little about or giving a sideline interview about the Td run or tackle or reception the series before. The screen goes to little bitty and I can't find anyone. At beginning of a series give me the lineup of who is on field then for D & O. Usually they will be in for 2-3 plays. On evaluating players I try to focus on team needs identified by Texans. For example, last two years SMith and Kubes have stated top priority need is RB that can score in Red Zone, move the pile to keep our D off field and get a first on short yardage plays. I do not focus on CJ SPiller, Best, McKnight & McCluster are not on my priority list. All are productive but not for that need. Matthews, Tate and Hardesty fall just below the big guns, Dwyer, Gerhart and maybe Dixon. If we draft Iupati 325 lbs and if he starts by mid season, we still have a very light 3/5ths of Oline. If we run behind Brown and Iupati on left, the D just adjusts and shuts us down. We need a back that can score running left, right or through our center.
If we can select Iupati, Asamoah, Mitch Petrus or Johnson and Dwyer, Gerhart or Matthews and a CB in first 3 rounds, that is a very productive draft.