View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010   #5
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Donovan Warren - CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
The Houston Texans need a cornerback and if Dunta Robinson stays or leaves, I still think we should draft a guy at this position or at least consider it. If we do go after a cornerback and Joe Haden is not on the board then I have been looking into maybe trading down a few spots and then pulling the trigger on Donovan Warren in the first round.

Here's a quick look...

Donovan Warren, CB

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 185-Lbs

40-Yard: 4.45

Career Totals: 170 Tackles, 6 INTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73Uu3L-jCw

As per http://www.faniq.com/blog/NFL-Draft-...res-Blog-33978

I'm not sure if I would give him a first round grade but there are a lot of mocks out there that have him in the late first round, some in the middle of the first.

I just want to know what you guys think of us drafting him. From what I've seen he is a good tackler, wraps up and drives the opponent down, has decent speed and good instincts.

He played well against Golden Tate during the Notre Dame game but does get beat at times however for the most part has good cover skills. He came out as a Junior and still needs coaching (who doesn't?) but he could be a good CB for the future. Hails from a school that has produced talent such as Charles Woodson and Leon Hall.

***One thing I don't understand is why the Michigan CBs allow such a big cushion between the WRs and the CBs, is this normal or is this just how the defense is run?***
Michigan was starting a walk-on at FS last year so their CB's usually played 10-12 yards off the ball because they played deep zone to make up for it. Warren actually played the deep zone in Cover 2 even though he lined up at CB. This was to make up for the lack of speed (and talent) that the walk-on was lacking.

They would line up in a weird looking formation where Warren would be to the short side of the field and would be 12 yds off his guy. He would have the deep zone to that side of the field. The safety to his side would be walked down to about 8 yds and had the short zone to that side. On the other side the other CB would be walked up 2-4 yds off the WR and would play the short zone over there while the other safety was deep and would play deep zone to that side.

They were forced to do this because of the lack of talent on their defense this year.

In effect, Warren played half the season at CB and half of it lined up at CB, but playing safety. He was still an all-conference selection. He was a 3 year starter and has legit pro potential. I have him as my #2 CB in the draft behind Haden and if we want him we need to take him at #20 because he won't last long after that.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote