View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible 2nd round draft picks for the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
My goodness, I think I'm more intrigued about these 2nd round'ish prospects than those around #20!

It's a lot to fall in line, but I would love if we could get an OG, RB and DT in free agency that the staff feels comfortable with starting/rotating. No superstars, but the quality pick ups that Smith usually produces. Then if no top prospects (for us) falls to our 1st rd pick, trade down to get more picks and get some of these FOOTBALL players that lack the 'measurables'. These guys always slip but end up making the better pros. The guys that go late 1st or 2nd, like: Demeco Ryans, Antoine Cason, Matt Forte, Ray Rice...

The thing that frustrates me is that there's still so many guys I like but so few draft picks for us! If we got OL/RB early I'll be frustrated we didn't address the secondary. If we go DB/OL... I'll be hoping we get a steal at RB later... if we go RB/DB... where's the starting OL help! aah.
There is an argument to be made that often you are getting a player on the same level around 20 or so that you are at 50. Often you will see a guy though of broadly as a 2nd rounder but is drafted in the 1st because of a combination of team needs, team rankings and position scarcity (see Duane Brown in 2008). For those reason a late first in your eyes can be there in the mid 2nd. It is key for your GM to be able to see the big picture of a particular draft and what you are trying to accomplish. While a ton of draft talk is the Texans need a ____ most, so they should draft the highest ranked _____ in round 1, the process is way more complicated than coming up with a grocery list and putting players in the shopping cart when your turn comes.