Thread: Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not a fan of trading away EARLY future picks. More than likely we would move up in the 2nd round using our current 2nd and either a later 2010 pick or a 2011 mid rounder. But I do understand where you're coming from so I'll entertain the idea.

Here's a hypothetical situation. Just an example so I don't want everyone upset if they don't like the picks. No RB is signed in free agency, Dunta isn't re-signed and CB is considered a need.

Let's pretend we had DT Brian Price rated as the 10th best prospect in the draft and Jonathan Dwyer as the 18th best prospect. When we're up to select in the 1st our board is set up as #10 Price, #18 Dwyer, and then all "lower" rated prospects. We select Brian Price as he's our highest rated player.

Then it gets into round 2 and Jonathan Dwyer is still around. We're around pick #40, he's still on the board. Spiller,Best,Matthews, whoever... has been selected and the drop off in our RB ratings go from Dwyer at 18th overall to a 4th/5th rd prospect. There's 11 more picks until our 2nd rounder at 51 is up. But to add to the mix, there are several CB's still on our board that we have rated as 1st rounders (#23-#28 ranked prospects). We have a VERY strong feeling Dwyer will not last to our pick. RB is a NEED as is CB. We have a STRONG feeling that the cb's will probably last till our 2nd but after them, we don't like the prospects as able to come in a start next season. Other positions such as interior OL and S look to have GREAT value in 3rd and 4th that can battle for starting spots.

In that case, I can see how maybe we could use our 2011 1st to select Dwyer. Again, it's just hypothetical but it'd probably be a player that they had rated WAY higher. I'd be very hesitant but if there are other prospects that we could still get with our current 2nd that they had rated as 1st rounders and they liked the grouping of guys at other positions for our 3rd/4th/etc. then it could work out well!
If a 1st rd. talent fell I would do the trade because it's like you get a free year out of your 2011 1st draft choice.

Carolina`did this in last years draft and took E.Brown. They also traded a 2008 2nd rd pick and a 2009 1st rd pick for a 2008 1st rd pick and took Stewart and Otah with their 2 1st rd picks.

This trade was the foundation that made Carolina have a dominant ground game.

There is a precedent for doing a trade like this and if you were in Kubes seat it would have to be considered.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote