View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010   #84
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like Dez Bryant, I think he would be a wonderful weapon to add to the offense but I also see him as a luxury pick that we just can't afford right now. We've got holes on the O-line and secondary that need to be filled first.

Someone mentioned Jahvid Best as a possible 1st round pick. I like his running style and either he or Spiller would be perfect for our one cut and go system. If we traded down in the 1st then I wouldn't mind him late in the 1st.
I think if we traded down and got more picks and Dez was still there, I would pull the trigger. He would help open up the field for both AJ and the running game. Hard to play the run with two explosive guys outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think what he meant was that WR isn't really a position of need (assuming we have the same players on the roster). The thought that if you're addressing a position that doesn't need to be addressed, then it could be considered a luxury pick. That you're succeeding with with what you have now and that it could actually be considered a strength. With that said, I'm a believer that you upgrade a position/your team any way you can. Who knows if you're going to have the same opportunity over the next few years. If you're getting a superstar like Andre Johnson... that would be huge!

There's one draft theory about building a 'super unit'. It could be about building a team, in general. But instead of getting above average, quality guys all around. You stock up on extremely great talent at one position. You build a super unit that forces opposing teams to spend the vast majority of their time gameplanning against and still having trouble defeating it. With this theory, and going back to your original post.... it wouldn't be a luxury pick at all. It would be a necessity to get your team to the level you want!
I think one of the reasons we go into droughts is that outside of AJ and OD, we don't really have a dependable WR. DA is ok in the slot, but he is a little two small and slow to make that much of an impact. Walter is a great blocking WR, and is a decent reciever, but I do not think he is a "playmaker". WR could use an upgrade, me thinks.