Originally Posted by beerlover
My #1 concern is, has been Texans run game so I address it big time. Use the current roster to build depth/expereince between Slaton & Foster. Next address interior OL with impact immediate starter @ LG. This should faciltate moving Bama ex-teammate Caldwell to Center as Brisel returns to RG. Dixon is the thunder to the lightening, a smash mouth between the tackles short yardage specialist, with ability to hurt teams 2nd level. After fixing running game & OL move over to the defensive trenches introducing sleeper DT Joseph (more productive than Dan Willams) who can get after QB's & penetrate spaces Texans have been unable to in past. Did not throw a CB in mix because I think the Texans and Dunta Robinson will come to their collective senses, but I did add Safety Rolle & OLB Kristick who can both cover & lay wood. Finally Special Teams..... Breath.....It's too important to overlook anymore, the cost immeasureable as in losses, missing playoffs & getting coaches axed.
1. C. J. Spiller, RB 5-11 195 Clemson
pro comp: Felix Jones - Explosive burst/change of direction, durable, academic all-american, 2nd team Walter Camp.
2. Mike Johnson, OG 6-5 305 Alabama
pro-comp: Justin Smiley - Athletic, great footwork for ZBS moves freely 2nd level locating assignments, First Team All-American.
3. Anthony Dixon, RB 6-1 235 Mississippi State
pro-comp: Kevan Barlow - Power one-cut downhill style, compilments C.J. has tools to effective blocker, needs work.
4. Linval Joseph, DT 6-6 320 ECU
pro-comp: Marcus Stroud -Dominant interior DT who can penetrates gap or just bull rush over/through blocker. Should have a dominant combine matching up with elite tackles in class.
5. Myron Rolle, S 6-2 222 FSU
pro-comp: Tank Williams - Rhodes Scholar, needless to say possess multiple intangibles also a pretty good safety to throw into Texans depth chart.
5. Leigh Tiffin, K 6-2 212 Alabama
pro-comp: Stephen Gostkowski - First Team All-American. Accountability Kubiak, please. Let's make Travis Johnson pick mean something like winning close games.
6. Keaton Kristick, OLB 6-3-230 Oregon Sate
pro-comp: Thomas Davis - Physcial player, high effort/motor, will out-work Cushing if possible making fearsome tandem on other side. First Team All PAC-10.
7. Clint Gresham, LS 6-3 225 TCU Horned Frogs
pro-comp: better than Pittman - Rated #1 Long snapper in nation. Special Teams is no joke it cost Texans big time. Invited to combine.
I like your thought process and your dilligence. If this was our draft, I would be very happy. However, since its a mock, I had a few disagreements.
1. Spiller or Dixon, not both. I understand the need for a running back, but I don't like the idea of taking both of them. We have Slaton, Foster, and Moats already on the roster. Don't forget Jerimiah Johnson on the IR who should be ready to go. If we draft these two we end up with 6. I think its more prudent to go with 1 drafted RB and 1 undrafted FA. We have more holes on the team.
2. Rolle. I like the player and I like the man. As a person who has pursued education I respect the man that does so as well. However, he is more of a SS type player. And I thought we were set there with Mr. Pollard. Unless Mr. Pollard is not resigned, it seems we are signing Rolle for depth. How about a solid FS in this spot? Nolan last year's 7 was a FS but was injured. Let's draft another one and let them compete with Wilson for the starting spot.
3. Snapper. Way to think outside the box. I like the idea here. I just wonder if we would be better served getting a snapper as an UDFA and using this spot for a monster kick/punt returner?
I really liked all your other picks. The one that stood out to me though was Keaton Kristick. An excellent find and an awesome player I would love to get. I currently have him as a 5th rounder and would love to get him.
Awesome job overall! What separates you from many other online mockers are these awesome finds late in the draft!
Keep up the great work!