View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010   #79
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Then why did you innitially say CURRENT DEPTH CHART? I normally tend to agree with you Mussop, but you thinking Quin is going to FS makes me realize that you are reaching to prove a nonexistent point. Quin is a damn good young cornerback and he is not going anywhere.

I just cut and pasted "the current depth chart" to show that the safety position has more than the 3 players you made it out to have. I left the CB's in there to show the secondary as a whole. As for Quin, I love him at CB. I was just suggesting that if Robinson is resigned that gives us three quality CB's and if we were in a pinch he could play FS as he did in college. Better him at FS with Robinson and Reeves at CB than Busing at S with Robinson and Quin at CB if we were stricken by injury.

Besides just because I think RB is more a need doesnt suggest I think S isnt a position that needs to be addressed.

Our D still gave up 4.3 yards YPR this season. Jeff Zgonina might retire, Frank Okam IMO isnt commited to being a football player, so that leaves you Shaun Cody and DelJuan Robinson. So this position might be able to wait until the 2nd or 3rd for some help.

Im going to steal a qoute from dalemurphy. "We were 4th or 5th in the NFL against the run after week #3. Everyone is very young! The scheme was simplified because of all the inexperience on the team. More disguise and nuance will be implemented this off-season.".

But I do agree with your assesment that some talent does need to be added. I really believe they will go after at least one quality rotation DT in FA.

Will Mike Brisiel and Chester Pitts come back strong? Are we going to be stuck with Studdard and Chris White? If so I think that position is in need of some serious help.

Agree here also.I just think finding good guards is not as hard as finding players at our other need positions. I also believe if we do not resign Pitts we will sign someone in FA. That player along with what we have and possibly a later round pick will be enough to get our OL to generate a running game to go along with our already potent passing game.

I still think FS is the biggest need. Then RB/OG/NT/CB. I might agree more with you If there was a RB worth the #20 overall selection. Spiller, Best, and Dwyer seem more like late first, early 2nd round picks. Now if we are able to trade back a few spots and draft one of those guys in the 25-32 range, then you have my interest.
Do you think Barber played bad at the end of this year? He is still young and gained valuable experience with all the playing time he got. I know WE all want a super ballhawking type back there but Kubiak has said more than once they like their S to be interchangeable. So I dont think they see it as big a need as WE do.

Currently we do not have a single back that you can say is capable of starting 16 games next year and performing at a high level. If we dont sign a quality back via FA (and it doesnt look like there are going to be any) then we better get one in the draft. You know as well as I do that every round you wait the percentage or chance of getting a legitamate RB goes down.

We struck gold with Slaton in the 3rd round (well at least for one year) This draft isnt a strong draft for running backs. If we dont get one early our running game will continue to go backwards. To top that off Kubiak himself has said fixing the running game is priority one.

If this post is all over the place forgive me I am tired and a little scatter brained. I need to take me a little nappy.