View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why I am against taking RBs high in the draft

Yes your RB is going to take a beating and likely be completely useless in 5-6 years. That's why he's the last piece of the puzzle you pick up. I look at the Texans and wonder how many more years Andre Johnson will play in the league. He's played 7 years already and this wonderful ride he's on could end in one play. Matt Schaub is putting up "should have gone to the Pro Bowl" numbers now. The offensive line could use a little help but they are capable of protecting him and a running game would go a long, long way toward keeping the pass rush from eating him alive.

It's time to draft a running back. Taking one in the first round this year would be (IMO) actually a little late. We could have picked up Benson in 2008 and not had to go through using a draft pick. We didn't and we won't likely get another shot at a franchise running back with so few miles on him again. We'll end up having to draft somebody and while I generally agree with the points you made to reach your conclusion I don't agree with never taking a RB early. There's a time to make that move and for the Texans it's very much now.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote