View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why I am against taking RBs high in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I think that high draft picks should be in positions where you can get a lot of years out of them. Sure the idea of having three great backs is great, but wouldn't it be better to have multiple really good DLineman? or DBs? That way you are always rotating guys in and out. You can keep guys fresh and not have a drop off in play. Then if you get to a point where you have too many good players in a position, you can trade high for additional picks. So, in essence, you continuously reload your supply. When the younger guys are ready, trade the older ones. As long as you pick smart in the draft, you will always be in good shape.

And you can't do that with Running backs, since they wear out too fast. I see the draft as a way to replenish your team and this is the way you do it.
I've argued this from your side before and I believed that high-round RB's were unnecessary for several years for all the reasons you've given. The league has moved to more of your position on this. I mean, 15 years ago, there were a lot more RB's taken in the first couple of rounds than there are now. But you get really good RB's drafted low all the time now.

But I'm starting to think that getting a really talented RB every few years can have more bang for your buck because of the potency that it gives your offense. We probably would have been much better with a RB this season that allowed us to close out games. With the RB, I'm thinking that you draft high occasionally even when the position isn't a need just to stockpile that position and make absolutely sure that your running game will be top-notch. If you've got 1 good RB, draft a couple more. If you've got 3 good RB's, then don't draft one that year unless a great one falls to you.

The main thing about the draft is really just identifying your own needs and assigning weights to those needs. But I just think the RB should carry a higher weight than the NFL is currently giving to it.

This year, I want to shore up the interior of our offensive line, get a really good FS, and get at least one RB capable of starting. And not necessarily in that order.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote