View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010   #40
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early signs point to Taylor Mays, S, USC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude runs from about mid 4.3 to mid 4.4 in the 40 & that's plenty fast for a FS. but aside from that, how ball hawking can you be when your coach has u playing 20 yds off the LOS?
Quickness is more important for a S than speed. Their ability to diagnose the play and change directions is what separates the good safeties from the bad. From what I've been reading from the 'drafniks', Mays has great track speed but his ability to change directions quickly and close on the ball are subpar. A ball hawk has the quickness and hands to catch the ball, neither of which I can tell that Mays has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
This. Mays is a SS type. I think if paired with a true ball hawk coverage guy, Mays will be very good. He is very far from a FS though. We could draft him to play WLB.
Moving him to WLB is a popular belief among a lot people (or having him as a SS). This indicates to me we won't be drafting him.

Using a 1st rd pick to convert him to a new position and replace Zac Diles? No thanks.
Using a 1st rd pick to replace Bernard Pollard? No thanks.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote