View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early signs point to Taylor Mays, S, USC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Many people were really disheartened last year when Mays decided not to declare.
He was an excellent ballhawk his junior year, what has changed?

Did he have a bad year, or was he "exposed"?
Why wasn't he exposed during his frst 3 seasons?

Statistically he seems to have done quite well this season.
Here are the stats I found at ESPN. http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=183232

2006: 3 Interceptions, 3 Pass Deflections, 13 Games Played
2007: 1 Interception, 6 Pass Deflections, 13 Games Played
2008: 0 Interceptions, 9 Pass Deflections, 13 Games Played
2009: 1 Interception, 3 Pass Deflections, 11 Games Played

The last 3 years he has 2 Interceptions in 37 game.

The safety position is one I'm usually pretty quick to jump on the bandwagon for. I would love to get an Ed Reed / Troy Polamalu type of guy. I liked Laron Landry, Reggie Nelson, Kenny Phillips, Taylor Mays, Eric Berry, etc. I was pretty excited about Mays last year. But I think there's a lot more hype/buzz surrounding the big name safeties that doesn't always measure up.

The safety position is WAY too hard to pay attention to while watching TV. The camera rarely shows what the S is doing pre snap and during the play... until right when they break up the pass, make a tackle or the WR leaves them in the dust.

All of Mays' highlights are of big hits. I don't even see him wrap up like a LB would but just hit really hard with his shoulder. I will say an arguement in Mays defense (that I am even probably guilty of) include (i) the style of defense, he plays far back and make sure nobody gets past him, (ii) teams rarely throw his way so he can't accumulate stats, (iii) i'm sure there are more.

Also, I'm a huge believer that the stat sheet only tells a fraction of the story. There is just no way to tell which player is better than the other just from their stats. So I always take them with a grain of salt... and a shot of tequila.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote