View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans carried 4 RBs and 2 FBs into Week 1 last year btw.

Baxter is not the best blocking FB. That was evident in '02 and early in camp last year. He is a decent runner and can catch, plus he has short yardage/goal line back size. Norris is a punishing blocker and the role of the FB in this system is block first, run/catch only when you have to.

I think the bigger question is what has Wells done to guarantee himself a roster spot? The answer is not much. I don't think you can go by limited stats or who anyone played in college when drawing these comparisons. From what I've seen over the last two seasons is that Wells is physically gifted but it's obvious he's not highly motivated. That landed him in Capers doghouse more than once the last two seasons, especially last season when he was told to play well on special teams or else - while barely hanging on to a roster spot behind Mack, DD, and Hollings. Watch Wells' body language at practice and on the sideline during games. He seems detached and disinterested from what is going on around him. Sometimes I wonder if he really likes playing in the NFL. Like I said somewhere else, unless someone tells him this is his contract year or someone else lights a fire under his butt, he's on the bubble. Baxter gets points on attitude and work ethic and even if Wells' talent is superior to Baxter's (and that's debatable) I could still see a scenario where Norris and Stackhouse are the FBs and Baxter moves back to RB behind DD and Hollings.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that no one really knows what Stackhouse can do. He may look good on paper but he may or may not work out. If he doesn't, Baxter is almost certainly the backup FB.

Last edited by aj.; 07-14-2004 at 05:45 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote