View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009   #30
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mussops Mock - follow up to FA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Brown is a much bigger liability on the edge than Winston. If anybody needs to move inside it's him.

Winston
577 plays in pass protection
5 sacks for 9.5 yards
6 QB hits
19 QB pressures

Duane Brown
559 play ins pass protection
8 sacks for 56.5 yards
10 QB hits
32 Qb pressures
I agree that Brown's a bigger liability. But, there are a couple of reasons I'd move Winston inside before I moved Brown.

One, Brown's athleticism. One of the reasons Brown is so valuable at LT, and the reason he was drafted so high there, is his atleticism. Moving Brown inside would marginalize that athleticism, and thus, marginalize his value as a lineman.

Two, Brown's age. Brown is a few years younger than Winston, so he has a bit more time to reach his potential. I think we know what we have with Winston and won't see much more improvement in his game, whereas Brown is still young and has room to further reach his potential.

Three, the nature of Winston's game. Winston is more of a "mauler" than Brown. His weakness lies in his ability to marginalize a quick rusher off the edge, and his strength lies is his ability to bulldoze his opposition. This seems (to me, at least) to be a skill set better suited for guard whereas Brown's more finesse, athletic game seems better suited for the tackle position.

Maybe I'm working off erroneous assumptions about the nature of the positions or the strengths of the players' games, but that's the way I see it. And, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd be opposed to moving Brown to guard, but that's why, if faced with an either-or proposition, I'd rather it be Winston.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote