View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Bye Week Mock Draft-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Hey im a build the trenches first guy so dont get me wrong. If one of the top OT's fell to us in the first round and I were GM, I would have the card turned in before they finished announcing the previous picks name. IMO you just dont pass up elite OL unless its for an elite DL.

I think the conditioning theory has been a little overhyped. His conditioning has gotten better every year. He came into this year around 350 and in the best shape of his Bama career. He's shown the right attitude and worked hard. And while you say the other good players around him make him look better, I couldnt agree less. In the 3/4 the nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy. Because he demands double teams it frees up Rolondo McClain and the other defendars to make plays. He beats his man 1 on 1 the majority of the time so teams have to double him. Auburn tried to start off single blocking him on the first play of the game and Cody plowed throught tthe guy and tackled the RB behind the line of scrimage.

Watch him when he has to pursue a play, he doesnt give up and just stop like a guy that has bad conditioning. He hustles for a guy his size. Now im not saying he could run a marothon but he has good conditioning for a guy his size. Even Saben raved about Cody’s work ethic and character. He reminds me alot of Gilbert Brown the DT for the Packers in their latest glory days. I think some 3/4 team is going to pick him and he will do exactly what they drafted him for and do it well.

You just dont rack up stats as a 3/4 NT. How can you judge him for tackles when his main job is to tie up blockers? I agree he wouldnt be the same in our 4/3 but he is more than

If we were to hire Cowher and switched to a 3/4, I wouldnt be unhappy if we drafted Cody in the first.
You do it like this; Dan Williams 6'2" 327 rated ahead of Cody 2008: 48 tackles 22 solo and the following:
11/18/09 - Tennessee senior defensive tackle Dan Williams is no doubt improving his NFL draft status. The Memphis native has 35 tackles the last six games. He’s also got seven quarterback hurries, 5.5 tackles for loss and a sack in that span. Teammates and opponents alike have dubbed him unblockable. Williams has spoken briefly with coach Lane Kiffin, who spent a season and a half with the NFL Oakland Raiders, about the NFL.“We never did get in depth into it. He just said, ‘Dan, just keep doing what you’re doing,”’ Williams said. Kiffin told him, “‘You’re doing good, and they’re talking good about you.’ For the most part, I think that’s good to hear, but my goals for this team are still trying to get us to a bowl game and just make sure I do everything I can do we can win,” Williams said. “If my play is helping us win, and it also helps me out in the long run, that’s a plus. But we don’t talk about it that much.” - AP Sports

11/17/09 - 11/17/09 NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: Williams has steadily risen up NFL Draft boards because of performances such as the one he had in a losing effort against Ole Miss. His nine tackles led the team, and his 2009 total of 52 is third on the squad. That sort of production is a bit unusual for a defensive tackle not named Ndamukong Suh. Williams also had two tackles for loss, one of which came after a pass he batted went to Ole Miss C Daverin Geralds - it was the easiest tackle Williams had all year. One of his most impressive plays came early on, as Williams chased a scrambling QB Jevan Snead to the sideline to prevent a big run. Snead has decent speed, so the big man's hustle could not be ignored. Combining that chase with his strength on the line makes him an intriguing early-round nose tackle prospect. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com