View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009   #59
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Bye Week Mock Draft-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
This is usually true, though I was all about taking Brandon Albert in the first round as an OG. Then some morons decided that he would make a great NFL LT. That's working out well. The Chiefs are still looking for an NFL LT and there are talks up here about moving him back to his natural LG spot and drafting a real LT. I thought he had All-Pro potential as an OG. But otherwise, I do agree with your point.
Hey im a build the trenches first guy so dont get me wrong. If one of the top OT's fell to us in the first round and I were GM, I would have the card turned in before they finished announcing the previous picks name. IMO you just dont pass up elite OL unless its for an elite DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Now, to your ideas. Cody is (in my opinion) best suited for the NT in a 3-4. I do not see him having too much of an impact in a 4-3, he is just too slow and unconditioned. It would be great to have a big DT plugging up the lanes, but the DT's in a 4-3 need to get at least a little bit of pressure on the QB. Cody looks like a man amongst boys out there because of his size. I think if you put him against the pros, he becomes very average. He is huge, but there is so much fat. I would be surprised if he lifts 30 reps this combine. Also, the Alabama D is stacked. They have players with pro potential at just about every position. That makes him look better than he is.
I think the conditioning theory has been a little overhyped. His conditioning has gotten better every year. He came into this year around 350 and in the best shape of his Bama career. He's shown the right attitude and worked hard. And while you say the other good players around him make him look better, I couldnt agree less. In the 3/4 the nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy. Because he demands double teams it frees up Rolondo McClain and the other defendars to make plays. He beats his man 1 on 1 the majority of the time so teams have to double him. Auburn tried to start off single blocking him on the first play of the game and Cody plowed throught tthe guy and tackled the RB behind the line of scrimage.

Watch him when he has to pursue a play, he doesnt give up and just stop like a guy that has bad conditioning. He hustles for a guy his size. Now im not saying he could run a marothon but he has good conditioning for a guy his size. Even Saben raved about Codys work ethic and character. He reminds me alot of Gilbert Brown the DT for the Packers in their latest glory days. I think some 3/4 team is going to pick him and he will do exactly what they drafted him for and do it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Let's look at Terrence Cody. He started 12 games in 2008 and was credited with 24 tackles 7 of which were solo. So far this year he has 22 tackles. A Dlineman averaging only two tackles a game does not float my boat. Yeah, he does clog the middle but how much of Alabama's defensive success is his? I would not give a 2nd for him to be honest. Those big boys usually have a problem keeping the weight down also. To give credit he did block two field goals.
You just dont rack up stats as a 3/4 NT. How can you judge him for tackles when his main job is to tie up blockers? I agree he wouldnt be the same in our 4/3 but he is more than capable of performing well at whats required of a 3/4 N.

If we were to hire Cowher and switched to a 3/4, I wouldnt be unhappy if we drafted Cody in the first.