View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
All 3 of these guys would be nice additions to the team in the mid 1st round but none of them is a must have player that would be filling a gaping hole on the team. We've got a good corp of LB's. If we lose Dunta, which I'm fine with, it leaves a gaping hole at #1 CB. There's no CB on this team worthy of being a #1 and going up against the opposing teams #1 WR every week. Quin has shown some promise for the future but it's a long way from good nickle CB to being a consistent #1, see Fred Bennett. If Dunta leaves then we have a gaping hole on the team that must be filled immediately. No other position on the field would have to be filled in the 1st round. Earl Thomas would be nice but he's not a must have player because we've got adequate talent in Eugene Wilson to fill the spot for another year, he's still under contract, there's no gaping hole at FS if we don't get Earl Thomas. I'm suggesting that if we don't get Joe Haden then we trade out of the 1st round, possibly with New England who's got three 2nd round picks #45, 51, and 58. We could possibly trade for their #45 and 51 thus giving us three 2nd round picks. I've seen the trade value chart and the points work slightly in their favor which is how you sell them on the deal. Three 2nd round picks would do this team wonders and allow us to build our O-line with 2 quality talent OG/C and still get a 2nd round CB like Lindley or Patrick Robinson, if we don't fill the gaping CB hole in FA or possibly a 2nd round FS.
A trade down works if you are not focusing on a particular player but rather a position. For example I like either Jonathan Dwyer or Toby Gerhart to fill a need position as a power back. Let's say I think # 15 is too high but I believe that both will be gone by #51 in second round. I am able to select an extra player which is nice because this draft appears deep in most of our need positions (other than power back). It depends on how each of us value the player.

On the other hand if I am comfortable I can draft Gerhart, Jon Asamoah G and a CB like Ras I Dowling or Perrish Cox in the 2nd and then get Morgan Burnett FS in third, I'd be all over it.